It’s that time of year, and I’m happy to be supporting the Friends of the Library of Hawaii on Read a Book Day 2022! During the week of September 6th, I will be collecting your book donations and dropping it off at the Friends of the Library Hawaii charity for use in our public libraries! It’s a great way to support our community, and I hope you’ll join me!
What Can Be Donated?
Before donating, please verify that your items are included in the following list of acceptable items by the Friends of the Library of Hawaii.
What do we Accept?:
- All Hawaiiana and Pacific materials regardless of condition
- Any vintage materials that are likely to have significant value, regardless of condition
- Art – Paintings, Prints, Lithographs, Posters, Sculpture . . .
- Cassette Tapes
What we Donʻt Accept:
- VHS Tapes
- Damaged Materials – broken spines, loose pages, hi-lighted or written-in, torn
- Materials with excessive discoloration
- No Materials that are moldy, dirty or infested with insects (Use the rule of thumb – if you would not want them in your house, no one else would either)
- Textbooks, encyclopedias, medical, and law books more than five (5) years old
- Government reports, pamphlets, binders, etc.
- Magazines *(Exceptions: Hawaiian or Pacific subjects)
- Travel books more than ten (10) years old unless they have many pictures or appear to have literary value. *(Exceptions: If the books cover Hawai‘i or the Pacific)
- All Hawaiiana and Pacific Materials
- Any materials that appear to have or may have significant value. i.e. vintage books
Once you’ve verified your donation will be accepted, please drop your items during one of the following collection times. Please, please do not drop your donation off outside of this collection schedule since there will be no one to accept your items.
- Tuesday, September 6th – Friday, September 9th: Items can be dropped off at the front desk of Marcus Realty (1045 Mapunapuna St.) between 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM. If you come by during the lunch hour and the front door is closed, please call (808) 839-7446 and someone will come to collect your donation.
- Saturday, September 10th & Sunday, September 11th: I will be on-site (1045 Mapunapuna St.) between 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM to collect items.
- Anytime: Of course, you can always drop your donation directly to the Friends of the Library Hawaii, but please make an appointment beforehand (https://friendsofthelibraryofhawaii.org/donate-books/)
If you cannot make any of those donation options, please give me a call at (808) 282-8146 and I will be happy to make special arrangements and make sure you’re able to get your donation in!
All donations can be dropped off at the Marcus Realty office in Mapunapuna, behind Servco Toyota.